I study online economic behavior and decision making. All my publications are listed on my CV, but here are a few:
Economic behavior on the Internet
- Goel, Sharad, & Daniel G. Goldstein. (2013). Predicting individual behavior with social networks. Marketing Science, 33(1), 82-93. [Paper][Appendix]
- Goldstein, Daniel G., R. Preston McAfee, & Siddharth Suri. (in press). The cost of annoying ads. Proceedings of the 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2013).
- Goldstein, Daniel G., R. Preston McAfee, & Siddharth Suri. (2012). Improving the effectiveness of time-based display advertising. Proceedings of the 13th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC'12) [Winner: Best Paper Award]
- Goel, Sharad, Duncan J. Watts, & Daniel G. Goldstein (2012). The structure of online diffusion networks. Proceedings of the 13th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC'12)
- Goldstein, Daniel G., R. Preston McAfee, & Siddharth Suri. (2011). The effects of exposure time on memory of display advertisements. Proceedings of the 12th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC'11)
Theories of Decision Making
- Goldstein, D. G. & Gigerenzer, G. (2002). Models of ecological
rationality: The recognition heuristic. Psychological Review, 109,
Gigerenzer, G. &
Goldstein, D. G. (1996). Reasoning the fast and frugal way: Models of bounded
rationality. Psychological Review, 103, 650-669.
- Gigerenzer, G., Hoffrage, U., & Goldstein, D. G. (2008). Fast and frugal heuristics are plausible models of cognition: Reply to Dougherty, Franco - Watkins, and Thomas (2008). Psychological Review, 115(1), 230-237. [Postscript to above].
- Weber, E. U., Johnson, E. J., Milch, K. F., Chang, H., Brodscholl, J. C. & Goldstein, D. G. (2007). Asymmetric discounting in intertemporal choice: A Query Theory account. Psychological Science, 18(6), 516-523.
Financial Decision Making
- Goldstein, Daniel G., Johnson, Eric J. & Sharpe, William F. (2008).
Choosing Outcomes Versus Choosing Products: Consumer-Focused Retirement Investment Advice. Journal of Consumer Research, 35(October), 440-456.
Hershfield, H. E., Goldstein, D. G., Sharpe, W. F., Fox, J., Yeykelis, L., Carstensen, L. L., & Bailenson, J. N. (2011). Increasing saving behavior through age-progressed renderings of the future self. Journal of Marketing Research, 48, S23-S37.
- Goldstein, D. G. & Taleb, N. N. (2007).
We don't quite know what we are talking about when we talk about volatility.
Journal of Portfolio Management, 33(4), 84-86.
Medical Decision Making
Managerial Decision Making
- Goldstein, Daniel G., Eric J. Johnson, Andreas Herrmann, and Mark Heitmann (2008).
Nudge Your Customers Toward Better Choices. Harvard Business Review, 86(12), 99-105.
- Taleb, Nassim N., Daniel G. Goldstein, and Mark W. Spitznagel (2009). The six mistakes executives make in risk management. Harvard Business Review, 87(10), 78-81. [Note]
- Goldstein, Daniel G. (2007). Getting attention for unrecognized brands. Harvard Business Review, 85(3), 24-28.
[En Español] [
- Goldstein, Daniel G., and Dominique C. Goldstein (2006). Profiting from the long tail. Harvard Business Review, 84(6), 24-28.